It is believed the old home, part of the present Danks Funeral Home, was built between 1895 and 1899, by Thomas H. Faught. In June 1913, it was purchased by T.S. Woodward and that same year, B.C. and Dena Mae Barnes purchased the property from Woodward. The Barnes Family resided there until September, 1921, when it was sold to Dr. J.O. McKenny. After Dr. McKenny's passing in 1946 the property was sold to Lawrence and Margaret Porter, but quickly changed hands in 1948 when Hubert and Thelma Myers became owners of the old home.
In 1951, Mr. Erwin L. and Mrs. Annabelle Casebier purchased the dwelling that once was the home of the late Dr. McKenney and converted it into a funeral home at Third and Lafayette Streets. William L. Danks was employed by the Erwin L. Casebier Funeral Home from 1959 until 1966 at which time he and his wife, Ima, purchased the business along with the real estate, changing the name to William L. Danks Funeral Home.There have been several alterations to the building including two chapels, a visitation room and two kitchen areas.
The Dr. J.C. McKenny home in 1921
William L. Danks Funeral Home in the 1970's
Their eldest son, Jeffrey Danks, joined the firm in 1979 after receiving his funeral director and embalmers license. Their granddaughter, Lauren Danks Allen joined the firm in 2011 and received her funeral directors and embalmers license in 2014. Lauren’s husband, Colten Allen joined their staff and began serving his apprenticeship in 2014. The firm continues to be family owned and operated along with Jaime Renfrow Maiden, who has served families in Ohio County for the last five years.
The values established in 1966 continue to prevail today at William L. Danks Funeral Home. We remain a family-owned and locally operated full service funeral home, providing professional and compassionate service to families through three generations. We continue to be deeply committed to providing only the best to the families that call on us and the community that we call home.